A Letter to My Daughter

Yesterday was your first birthday. I cannot believe how much you have grown and changed. I spent some time yesterday scrolling through my blog - which has become a blog about you - to see pictures of how much you have changed. It's truly amazing!

I told your Paw Paw that you really don't look like the same baby, except when you cry. That mad screaming face today is exactly the same as it was the day you were born. Your dad and I talk about which one of us you look more like and while you have your dad's coloring, we think you have my nose and chin ... but you just look like yourself, and always have when you were mad.

Those first two or three months of your life were hard for everyone. I think they were hard for you, and they were certainly hard for your dad and I. You were a colicky baby, crying for maybe three hours every evening - starting about four or five and going until maybe eight - or sometimes longer. We couldn't really do anything for you. All I could do was hold you. You seemed to like being on my shoulder with me doing deep knee bends. I joked that you were just trying to help me lose all the weight I gained when I was pregnant with you by screaming, "and ... FEEL .... THE .... BURN!"

Your dad and I were also very sleep deprived. But those days passed. Now you are scooching and walking a little by yourself and bossing the dog around. Squealing with delight about every little discovery you make.

Now is when the real work for us, your parents, will start.

So far, you are a pretty fearless little girl. You love people, waiving to everyone at the store and church - whether they are looking at you or not. You love your dog - in fact, some days when I get home from work, you are more interested in seeing Missy than me!

I am already seeing signs that you are strong-willed. We tell you not to touch something and you continue to touch it, even though we attempt to distract you.

This is something that all three of us - your dad, me, and you - are going to have to work on, for a long time, I think.

You have been such a blessing to us, Jubilee. You have brought so much joy to our house. My prayer for you in this next year of life - and throughout your life - is that you continue to help others see the Lord with your presence. I pray that you would continue to grow in the Lord, that, as you came to us from the Lord, you would make choices to know Him and be obedient to Him as you grow physically. I pray that, as your dad and I really embark on this parenting journey, we would heed Him so to foster your spiritual growth above and beyond anything else we will impart to you.

The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.

Love you!

Comments

Popular Posts