Micah 6:8

We sing this song at church. "He has shown you, O man, what is good. To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8

I just don't get it. I mean, it seems simple enough - but then - it still just doesn't make sense to me. Is "good" just acting justly, loving mercy and walking humbly with God? I don't really think so ...

Because, aren't justice and mercy opposite? I mean, if God were to do justice, we'd all burn in the lake of fire. That's what we deserve. One and all. But, God had mercy on us and instead of giving us what we deserve, he has given us Jesus who will stand before the judgment seat in our place if we ask him. So, justice is getting what you deserve. Mercy is not getting what you deserve. How can we do justice and love mercy at the same time?

The only part of this verse I do get is walking humbly before God. And by "get" I mean intellectually understand. Not that I do it consistently.

So, am I making this too hard? (Wouldn't be the first time ...) Can someone explain this to me?

Comments

Popular Posts