Thank You

Right now, I'm studying prayer in my devotion times.  My pastor said something that made a ton of sense a while back about prayer.  I'll paraphrase it here:  "We are in a spiritual war.  The enemy's smart.  And, being a military man myself, I'll tell you that I know from experience that the best way to win a war, the first thing an enemy does is take down the lines of communication.  This is why the Bible tells us to constantly be in prayer.  We need to keep the lines of communication open."

I have been really convicted this year about how I'm spending my thought time.  Not, lest you get the wrong idea, that I was thinking about things I shouldn't, but how I was probably squandering some of my though-time.

I shared a while back that I felt like the Lord was engineering my circumstances to create quiet in my life.  I mean, with two young children, not enough sleep and literally next to no spare time, it's pretty hard to create quiet.  But, there are always moments in a day that can be spent in stillness before the Lord.  It might not be the stillness I enjoyed before I had kids, but it's there, even if its just listening to a good sermon (instead of a mindless book) while I'm folding the laundry or doing the dishes.

Stillness and quiet, maybe are a part of prayer.  I know that boldness and persistence are part of prayer.  (Luke 11, 18:1).  So is bringing our true feelings to the Lord, so we can submit them to His perfect will.  (Luke 22:39-46). 

I feel like, maybe 31 is a little late in life to be asking, like the disciples did, "how should we pray?"  Yet, even with the Lord's prayer, I feel like I'm going through some sort of rote formula and I feel like I need help with the "how." 

At some point, when I actually do get some spare time, I'm going to read EM Bounds

This post is kinda rambly, and I don't have much of a conclusion; however, I do have a scripture to share that I read today on my subject:  Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.  (Romans 12:12)

So ... how about you?  What's the current question you're tackling before the Lord right now?  Have you made any leeway with it?

Comments

Popular Posts