Truth vs. Lies



We have a cunning child.  One who, like most people, hates to admit being wrong and will slip in a half-truth or outright outlandish tale if it might shift the blame.  This same child, earlier this week was upset that someone on the playground at school told a crazy fib for attention -- my child wanted to make sure everyone knew this other kid was LYING.

As a parent, I'm not sure what to do about lying.  For sure, I know that I don't catch every lie.  But, I was thinking about what God says about it, and I want to ponder these verses and apply them to my life.  I want this particular child to likewise ponder these verses and apply them.  May they take root in our hearts today.  Amen.

O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.  You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.  You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.  Before a word is on my tongue, you know it completely, O LORD. -- Where can I go from your Spirit?  Where can I flee from your presence?  If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.  If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.  If I say"Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.  (Psalm 139:1-4, 7-12).  Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place.  Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.  Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice.  Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity.  Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.  -- You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.  The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.  (Psalm 52:6-10, 16-17).

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions.  Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.  (Psalm 52:1-2).  His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse, nor his delight in the legs of a man; the LORD delights in those who fear in him, who put their hope in his unfailing love.  (Psalm 147:10-11).

According to these verses -- what does the Lord know about us?  (Psalm 139:1,2)  What does the Psalmist do to hide from God?  In concrete language, what are some of the ways you have tried to hide from God?  According to Psalm 52:6, what does God desire?  Do you desire truth in your inmost heart?  Why/why not?  What are the sacrifices God finds pleasing?  Psalm 52:1 says that God forgives us according to what?  What does Psalm 147:10-11 say God delights in?  Have you felt sad, frustrated, ashamed or angry lately?  What have you been placing your hope in lately -- what have you been depending on for your salvation and assurance?

Comments

Popular Posts