A Letter to My Son

You will keep in perfect peace, him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal. - Isaiah 26:3-4

Noah, you're turning one. This past year has been so hard on us, but so full of the Lord's blessing. We are so blessed to have you in our lives, and we pray that you will grow into a man who walks with God, doing everything that God commands you -- just as the Noah of Genesis did.

I am excited to see what kind of a person you will become and what kind of a personality you will have. I suspect that you will be my strong-willed child. From the get-go, you were throwing kinks in our plans: I was training for a half-marathon when I discovered that I was pregnant with you: so I had to drop my plans then. When I was 28 weeks pregnant with you, the doctor put me on bed rest and I couldn't work and your dad and I had to completely rearrange our schedules so you would be born healthy. You were scheduled to be born on February 14, but came hurdling in this world three days early and were almost born in the car on the way to the hospital.

And from there, you have repeatedly shown us that you won't be just like your sister. In many ways you were an easy baby. You didn't have colic, and could generally be soothed when you cried. At first, you slept good for a newborn, giving me at least 4 hours of sleep in a row several times a night.

But then, you decided you liked things a certain way. And I came to know exhaustion and sleep-deprivation on an entirely too personal level. There were times, since you were sleeping in our room with me and your dad, that you would wake and after eating, scream for over an hour.

Sometimes two.

Old enough to not need to eat again, and with nothing visibly wrong with you, we let you at it. But you persisted in making all three of us miserable. Your sister never did that. And you didn't stop until you won, I gave in, and fed you again.

We can't forget, either, that when you turned about six months, you began to pull your hair when you were frustrated. Literally, pull your hair. None of the mothers we know have ever seen anything like that.

Your days are full of Jubilee. There's hardly a moment you two are apart from each other and it's obvious you love your sister. Your first word was "ba ba." At the time, I thought it meant, "ball," but I have become convinced it means "JuBAlee." She loves you back with great gusto. I pray that you two will continue to love each other, be concerned for each other and take care of each other.

You are delighted when Daddy comes home from work. You are delighted to see me come home on the days I work. You are delighted by all your family. Oh, I hope and pray that you will continue to delight in good.

We are so busy, your dad and I, keeping up with you and your sister. This year just flew by, sleep-deprivation, spit-up and all. May you grow to know the Lord, relying on him for your measure of right, so that you may stand as a leader of men -- even if you think you stand alone. May you seek after His face in all your days, my little Noah.

We love you with every beat of our hearts.

Happy one year birthday.

Love you! Mommy

Comments

Popular Posts